Opened in the fall of 1956, Tillman Elementary School was named in honor of Frank P. Tillman, Kirkwood Superintendent of Schools from 1924-47. The west end of the building is the original structure, which expanded with middle and east sections added in 1951. A gymnasium was built in 1964. In 1987, a three-floor classroom addition was added to the back of the building. Six new classrooms in a one-floor addition were built in 1993.
Renovations resulting from a tax/bond issue in 1993 included a new gymnasium, renovation of the old gym into a cafeteria/auditorium, technology infrastructure, air conditioning, ADA compliance, and interior upgrades. In 2005, a two-part bond initiative funded improvements at Tillman that included new domestic/fire mains, new fire alarm system, replacement of restroom pipes, tuck pointing, exterior door replacements, and asphalt sealing.
Tillman School is characterized by relationships of mutual respect among all members of the learning community. A committed staff focuses on fostering success for each student through individualized instruction. The school is proud to have achieved “Gold Level” recognition by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for its implementation of the school-wide Positive Behavior Support program. Parents are highly engaged and support the school staff in promoting success for all students, helping to make Tillman a joyful place to learn and grow.