Parent Information & Opt Out Letters
KSD Policy IGAEB recognizes that "parents/guardians are the primary source of sexuality education for their children. The Board of Education also recognizes that effective sexuality education, taught in concert with parents/guardians, helps students avoid risks to their health and academic success and prepares them to make informed decisions as adults. Therefore, in accordance with law, the district will notify the parents/guardians of each student enrolled in the district of the basic content of the district's human sexuality instruction that will be provided to their student. The district will also notify parents/guardians of their right to remove their student from any part of the district's human sexuality instruction. The district will make all curriculum materials used in the district's human sexuality instruction available for public inspection as a public record prior to the use of such materials in actual instruction."
As per state standards, Kirkwood's health curriculum first introduces students to human growth and development in fourth grade. Topics related to sexual education continue through middle and high school health instruction.
Resources noted below are provided to support parents with understanding about Kirkwood's health and sexual education instruction. If you need additional information, please contact Michele Niece (email@example.com) or Sarah Jaeger (firstname.lastname@example.org/213-6100).
- Missouri Health Education Grade Level Expectations
- Middle School Health Curriculum Overview
- High School Health Curriculum Overview
- National Sex Education Standards
- Kirkwood Policy IGAEB: Sexual Health Instruction
- Missouri State Statute 170.015 (HB501)
- Elementary Parent Notification & Opt-Out Letter (4th/5th)
- Middle School Parent Notification & Opt-Out Letter
- High School Parent Notification & Opt-Out Letter