High School Summer Options
KSD Credit Recovery - In Person
- Credit Recovery allows students who have failed courses during the school year to address work and grade deficiencies, with the goal of achieving a passing grade and earning credit for the course.
- Students participating in Extended School Year for credit recovery will attend class on campus, beginning June 2 and continuing each Monday-Friday morning until they earn a satisfactory grade in required courses or until June 24, whichever comes first.
KSD Credit Enhancement
- Credit Enhancement allows students to take courses during the summer months that they might otherwise need to schedule into their academic school year.
- Students taking Health or Personal Finance for credit enhancement will take the courses online, via Schoology, between June 1-28. These courses will be taught by KSD teachers, using Kirkwood curriculum.
- Students taking Lifetime Fitness (PE) for credit enhancement will attend class on campus from June 1-28, from 7:30-10:30 and/or 10:45-1:45.
- Sections for Health, Personal Finance, and Lifetime Fitness will be capped at 33 students per class, with three sections each of Health/Personal Finance, and two sections of PE. Students who cannot be accommodated will be free to take these courses via Launch.
- Those enrolled in Lifetime Fitness must attend 19 of 20 days (in person) or risk being dropped from the course. If a student is forced to miss class due to COVID isolation or quarantine, he or she will drop the class, penalty-free, with the option to take PE via Launch in July.
- Families interested in credit enhancement through Kirkwood are asked to watch for additional information from the high school.
Credit Enhancement and/or Adaptive Academies via Launch - Online Only
- All current 8th-11th grade students can take online courses for credit this summer through LAUNCH, a KSD partner based out of Springfield Public Schools. There is no cost to families OR the Kirkwood School District for these courses, with funding through the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
- Launch courses are offered from June 7-30 and July 7-30. Students can potentially take up to two courses per month or four courses per summer, if desired.
- Students who do not log in and participate within the first two days of each session will be automatically dropped by the LAUNCH office.
- Families are encouraged to review course offerings on the Launch high school website.
Note: The information above assumes teachers and groups of students will be able to meet in accordance with CDC and county health guidelines in place at the time. Plans for in-person instruction will be altered, if necessary, to ensure the health and safety of our students, staff, and families. Our preference and priority, where appropriate, will be meeting with students in person on our campus.