Middle School Summer Options
Middle School Summer Academy - In Person Only
- Classes will meet in person, from 8:30-12:00 each Monday-Thursday. There will be two 2-week sessions, beginning July 10 and July 24
- Courses will be designed around week-long themes, with key math and ELA standards integrated into students' learning. Themes students might expect include topics such as Food Truck, Farm to Table, CSI: Kirkwood, Woodworking, and the Summer Olympics.
- Summer Academy is open to all rising sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students.
- Students and teachers from both schools will meet at Nipher Middle School.
- All middle school students are eligible to attend, with preference will be given to those who can attend in person all eight days of either session.
- Interested families should contact your building principal and/or Matthew Banks or Emilie Madlinger, our Summer Academy Administrators.
Enrichment and/or Adaptive Academies via Launch - Online Only - REGISTER HERE
- All current 5th-7th grade students can take online courses this summer through LAUNCH, a KSD partner based out of Springfield Public Schools. There is no cost to families or the Kirkwood School District for these courses, with funding through the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
- Courses run from June 5-30 and July 5-31. Students can potentially take up to two courses per month or four courses per summer, if desired.
- Live, synchronous teacher support will be available daily; one-on-one and small group support is also an option.
- Students who do not log in and participate at once per week will be automatically dropped after two weeks.
- Students can register for classes up to the first day of each session, June 5 and July 5.
Daily academy schedules for Launch (Grades 1-8) can be viewed HERE.
Middle School Options Through LAUNCH
- Summer Enrichment: Escape
- See if you can create the best digital breakout and escape room to be the Escape! champion! During this course you will learn about Google suite applications, word games, challenges, create a digital breakout, and design an escape room. You will be provided with tips and tricks when building digital breakouts and escape rooms to create the most challenging games for participants.
- Summer Enrichment: Game On!
- Students will learn how to design their own video games; no prior experience necessary. Students will learn to write code using several different platforms and languages. There will also be an opportunity to visit an arcade.
- Summer Enrichment: Operation Innovation
- Are you ready to rise up and be the voice of innovation for a cause? Join us as we explore your leadership potential and take action to make a meaningful impact on our world.
- Summer Enrichment: Outdoor U
- Do you love the outdoors? Learn about different ways you can experience and enjoy nature and acquire the skills you need to thrive in the great outdoors as you experience archery, fly-fishing, hiking, survival skills, and more. Students will visit various outdoor recreation areas each week. Bring your hiking boots!
Extended Learning Programs through Launch
Launch’s Extended Learning Programs (ELPs) are offered for both Reading and Math and are designed for students who need extensive recovery in select content areas.
- Focused extended learning options in Math and Reading
- Recommended for students identified as two or more grade levels behind
- One-on-one and small group support
Summer Remediation Support through LaunchLaunch's Remediation courses are designed to provide additional opportunities for learners who need focused support in grade-level skills.
- Remediation available in all four core areas (ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies)
- Content is divided into semesters (Semester 1 = June; Semester 2 = July)
Summer Programming for Gifted Students through Launch
- TedEd Student Talks (June)
- Mission to Mars (July)
Additional courses may be available on the LAUNCH website.