1. DOMICILE: A customary or permanent dwelling place; home; residence; one's official legal residence. The domicile of a minor child is the same as the domicile of the child's parent or court appointed legal guardian.

    2. RESIDENCY: Requires both physical presence and domicile within the district. Residency means that the minor child's parent or guardian, or the child, if more than 18 years old, is domiciled in the district.

    3. PROOF OF RESIDENCY: Proof of residency may be established by providing any two of the following: current unpaid utility bill, occupancy permit and/or rental or purchase contract.

    4. WAIVER: The intent of the waiver request is not to waive the requirement of residency in the district, but to waive the proof of residency requirement. This is intended for families who do reside in the district, but have none of the required documents; i.e., real or personal property tax bill, rental or purchase contract, or IRS tax return to prove their residency. An example may be a parent who is separated from their spouse and the parent and child are temporarily living with a relative. These families shall be referred to the Superintendent's Designee.

    5. The RESIDENCY CRITERIA, RESIDENCY VERIFICATION and WAIVE THE PROOF OF RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS forms are intended for students who are not living with either parent, but are living with a Kirkwood resident on a Power of Attorney. These forms must be obtained from and approved by the Office of Student Services.

    A waiver is not required from:

    • a. A Homeless Child - A person less than 21 years old who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence including one who lives in a community shelter facility or transitional housing for less than one full year (167.020.1 RSMo.);

    • b. A student who is a ward of the State and has been placed in a residential facility by a juvenile court;

    • c. A student with a disability identified under State eligibility criteria if the student is in the district for reasons other than solely to access the district's educational program;

    • d. A student attending a regional or cooperative, alternative education program, or an alternative education program on a contractual basis; or

    • e. Pupils who qualify under RSMo. 167.121, 167.151, and 167.020(1-6).