What do I need to know about screening through Parents as Teachers?
What is developmental screening?
Screening is a way of looking at your child in comparison to the development to other children his/her age. It shows parents if their chlid is developing within the typical range for his/her age or in what areas the child may need support. The developmental screening measures the progress of children in the areas of motor, language and social-emotional development. A hearing and vision test will be included in the screening.
If an area(s) is found to be developing more slowly than typical, we will suggest activities that you can use in strengthening the area(s) of concern. Recommendations for diagnostic testing will be suggested for those perceived to need further evaluation.
Screenings for Children Birth to 3 Years of Age
A complete annual screening includes development, hearing, vision and health. For children under 3 years of age, there are a few options for a child to acquire their annual screening.
Families actively receiving visits from a parent educator have the follow options:
- Developmental screening is offered in the home during a family visit.
- Health Review is offered in the home with a parent educator.
- Hearing and Vision Screening is offered in the home with a parent educator OR by appointment with Nurse Patti at Kirkwood Early Childhood Center . Sign up for the screening with the nurse is on this website or by calling the PAT office at 314.213.6137.
Families that are particpating in PAT lite (not actively working with a parent educator) have the following options:
- Developmental screening is offered in the home after child receives the hearing and vision screening from the nurse at Kirkwood Early Childhood Center. Families can request a screening through their previous parent educator or by calling the PAT office at 314.213.6137.
- Health Review is offered in conjunction with the developmental screening in the home with a parent educator.
- Hearing and Vision Screening is offered by appointment with Nurse Patti at Kirkwood Early Childhood Center. Sign up for the screening with the nurse is on this website or by calling the PAT office at 314.213.6137.
THE VISITOR IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM USED BY THE DISTRICT IS IN PLACE. VISITORS MUST BRING IN IDENTIFICATION WHEN CHECKING INTO KECC'S OFFICE.
THANK YOU FOR KEEPING BUILDING SAFETY A PRIORITY!
Screenings for Children 3 Years 10 months until 5 Years of Age
A complete annual screening includes development, hearing, vision and health. For children 3 years 10 months of age to 5 years of age, there are 2 options for receiving this annual screening (DIAL).
- Families can sign their child up for the DIAL screening by calling the PAT office at 314.213.6137. The community DIAL screening is offered 5 times throughout the school year and is offered on select Fridays and Saturdays. This screening takes place at Webster Groves Christian Church (1320 West Lockwood). 2019-20 DIAL screening dates are October 5th, December 7th, January 25th, February 29th, March 27th and 28th. Please note that the March screening dates are the last of the school year.
- Parents as Teachers also offers the DIAL screening through some of the local preschools. Please check with your child's preschool before signing up for a community DIAL screening.