In Startup! course, students plan, start, and operate their own small business, emphasizing the critical problem-solving skills required to be successful. Students will research business ideas, calculate costs, construct a business plan, identify financing options, develop a marketing plan and operate their business individually or with a partner. Students will also take a field trip to St. Louis University to participate in an entrepreneurship symposium. Startup! is the recommended course for students interested in exploring course offerings within the Pioneer School of Business.
Grade Level(s): 9-12 (semester long course)
Related Priority Standards (State &/or National): BMIT - Business Education
Enduring Understandings/Big Ideas
- Students will learn about the importance of marketing research in starting a business.
- Students will learn how to construct market surveys relevant to starting a business.
- Students will learn how to analyze survey results to help inform business decision-making.
- Students will understand what information is relevant when locating a business.
- Students will analyze data to make an informed business location choice.
- Students will learn how to analyze financial reports to make informed business decisions.
- Students will learn the difference between the information on balance sheets and income statements.
- Students will learn how business decisions impact the information in financial reports.
- Students will understand how to diagnose the causes of a struggling business.
- Students will develop and implement plans to attempt to turnaround a struggling business.
- Students will use financial statements and other reports to assess the effectiveness of corrections.
- Students will learn how to use marketing research data to select an appropriate segment and medium through which to advertise.
- Students will learn how to choose items to promote.
- Students will learn how to examine management reports to understand the impact of their advertising and promotion decisions.
Course-Level Scope & Sequence (Units &/or Skills)
- Unit 1 - Introduction to Start Up
- Unit 2 - Brainstorming
- Unit 3 - Persona
- Unit 4 - Branding
- Unit 5 - Logo Design
- Unit 6 - Brand Promotions
- Unit 7 - Virtual Business Challenge
- Unit 8 - Final Project
Date Last Revised/Approved: 2013